All in-person classes for 2020/21 are subject to be cancelled or delivered online depending on the status of COVID-19 in Toronto in the upcoming year. APW will endeavour to safeguard the health and safety of its staff and students (and by extension their families) in whatever way is deemed reasonable and in accordance with APW’s principles and the directives of the local health authorities.
This 38 x 6 hour drawing course utilizes the APW Drawing Method, the foundation of our successful Animation Portfolio Workshop curriculum.
The two courses comprising the APW Art School Portfolio Preparation course have been carefully designed to complement each other and to offer a variety of drawing exercises that develop both illustrative drawing systems as well as observational life drawing skills. Students wishing to create portfolio pieces suitable for inclusion in a variety of post-secondary art and illustration application portfolios will find this course to be of great value. The instructor conducts individual critiques of potential portfolio pieces as the course develops.
Life Drawing and Basic Anatomy
A range of exercises in gesture, contour, structure, volumetric drawing and light and shadow are the core components of the Life Drawing and Basic Anatomy course. These drawing exercises are applied to the study of the skeletal and musculature systems of the human body.
Drawing exercises in visualization and sketching, object drawing, one and two-point perspective, outdoor sketching, composition and design as well as sequential image construction will be taught in this course.
38 6-hour classes taught two-four evenings per week (Tuesdays – Thursdays, 6 pm-9 pm)*
Tuesday, September 2021 – April 2022
Classes consist of – 3 hours of Life Drawing and Basic Anatomy and 3 hours of Illustrative Drawing**
* Some weeks will consist of two evenings per week of classes, some weeks will consist of 4 evenings per week. See detailed class schedule for complete course calendar
** Course instructor and students will choose one weekend day that falls within the specified course dates upon which to hold a full day of outdoor sketching class.
*** The maximum enrolment is 12 students. Suitable for anyone 16 yrs or older.
Fees – TBD
- 2-B Conte, Black or Brown
- semi-hard black and white pastel, Prismacolor or gallery brand
- 1 box of 25 pads of 18”x 24” newsprint
- 6 Lyra water-soluble graphite sticks / three 6B and three 9B
- 1 box of Crayola crayons
- 2 heavy-duty clips to hold the paper to the drawing board (Canadian Tire , Rona, Home Depot)
- 1 roll 18” x 24” tracing paper
- 4 soft kneadable erasers
- 1 pair long thin knitting needles, metal, non-tapering
- 1 exacto knife
- four 6B or 8B graphite pencils
- two design ebony graphite pencils / extra smooth jet black
- sketch book 11” x 14” or larger
- ink pens / Copic Multi Liner, Pilot B razor, Pigma BB (get all)
- The Natural Way to Draw by Kimon Nicolaides
You will use approximately 40 pads of newsprint for the entire course so consider buying a box of pads if you can pick them up or have them delivered to your home.
Please note: APW students cannot store any of their personal art supplies on the premises where APW classes are held or have supplies delivered to the building.
Students 16 years old and up who are wishing to create portfolio pieces suitable for inclusion in a variety of post-secondary art and illustration application portfolios will find this course to be of great value
Yes. The APW Instructor gives individual critiques to identify the best pieces for the portfolio you need for the course to which you will apply.
Fill out the form and we’ll contact you to walk you through the rest.