One opportunity can change everything.
Patrick O’Keefe, Spider-Man Into The Spider-Verse Art Director, has partnered with Animation Portfolio Workshop to offer the O’Keefe Scholarship. The O’Keefe Scholarship is granted annually to one student who best meets the specific financial and artistic eligibility criteria for this opportunity.
The O’Keefe Scholarship consists of full tuition for the Spring Session of the Animation Portfolio Workshop. Patrick O’Keefe will also provide a private mentoring component (via Skype) for the scholarship recipient, consisting of one session per month for the duration of the APW Session. Gwartzman’s Art Supplies will supply the successful applicant with all required art materials free of charge for the duration of the APW Session.
The scholarship covers the full tuition of the 2020/2021 Session
“Whether it is commercials, games, comic covers or film it all begins with an understanding of drawing and design that I learned at APW – which changed the way I look at the world and taught me how to express my creative ideas.”
O’Keefe Scholarship FAQ
To be considered as a candidate for the O’Keefe Scholarship, eligible applicants must:
– Be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada
– Be 15 to 18 years of age
– Submit a one page written component describing their artistic aspirations
– Submit 5 minimum, 10 maximum pieces of original art in any medium consisting of observational drawings, paintings, concept art, illustrations or street art
– Meet the O’Keefe Scholarship Financial Needs Criteria
– O’Keefe Scholarship Financial Needs Criteria application is a form provided with the scholarship application.
– Submit all application material by the scholarship application deadlines
Patrick O’Keefe will also provide a private mentoring component (via Skype) for the scholarship recipient, consisting of one session per month for the duration of the Spring Session.
Gwartzman’s Art Supplies will supply the successful applicant with all required art materials free of charge for the duration of the APW Session
Full tuition fee for regular 38-week session is $5,480.00 CDN. The Scholarship is not transferable to another year and can only be used for the Spring Workshop that falls within the same calendar year in which the scholarship recipient has been chosen.
2. Applicants that meet the financial needs criteria will be invited to submit 5 -10 pieces of original artwork in a digital file format and a 1 page description of their artistic goals and aspirations by the deadline.
3. The successful applicant is contacted and must submit all of the previously tendered art in its original form.
4. The successful applicant is awarded the scholarship.
5. Successful applicants will be contacted directly by APW. Applicants may not contact APW during the adjudication process to get information of any kind on the status of their application.
Patrick O’Keefe is a Toronto-born, Los Angeles-based illustrator and art director. He began his artistic pursuit while attending Northern Secondary School in Toronto. At the behest of his high school art teacher, Mr. Steve MacNaughton, and in preparation for his post-secondary studies, Patrick enrolled in the Animation Portfolio Workshop (APW). After working with APW directors Gerard Sternik and Vincent Peets, Patrick soon discovered that this program would become the beginning of a lifelong pursuit of art, hard work, and mentorship that would lay the foundation of discipline for a career as a commercial artist.
After completing the APW program, Patrick studied illustration at Sheridan College before transferring to the Emily Carr University of Art and Design, where he received his Bachelor of Media Arts in Film and Animation Design.
Most recently, Patrick served as an art director on Sony Pictures Oscar winning animation feature film Spider-Man™: Into the Spider-Verse, which was released in December 2018
OCTOBER 1 2019:
START DATE FOR ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS OF FINANCIAL NEEDS CRITERIA FORM
AUGUST 1 2020:
LAST DAY TO SUBMIT FINANCIAL NEEDS CRITERIA APPLICATION FORM
AUGUST 8 2020:
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS MEETING FINANCIAL NEEDS CRITERIA ARE CONTACTED AND ASKED TO SUBMIT ARTWORK AND WRITTEN COMPONENT OF SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION.
AUGUST 15 2020:
DEADLINE FOR UPLOAD SUBMISSION OF ARTWORK / WRITTEN COMPONENT OF SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION @ 11:59 PM EST
AUGUST 22 2020:
SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT IS NOTIFIED
AUGUST 23– 26 2020:
WINDOW OF TIME THAT SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT HAS TO SUBMIT ARTWORKS FOR VERIFICATION
AUGUST 27 2020:
ANNOUNCEMENT OF 2020 O’KEEFE SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT
Digital artwork by Patrick O’Keefe