Eric Chartrand-McCueAPW Character Design Contest winner 2015
Winning free tuition to the Animation Portfolio Workshop was exhilarating, and partaking in the workshop was fun, and at times a little challenging to learn the ropes. But as soon as you learn them everything else gets easier and what you learn there will last you a lifetime. Several, if your gifted (joke). Anything that you want to get into, whether it be storyboarding, animation, comics, illustration, or even 3d animation will be easier once you learn what it is that you need to learn. But only if you're willing to do the work.
Afia FobiAPW Character Design Contest Winner 2014
Being able to attend the APW has been one of the most important experiences in my development as an artist. The in-depth and solid approaches to teaching of drawing techniques, from gesture and contour, to design and structure has had a considerable impact on improving my work. Not only is the quality of instruction top notch, but the positive atmosphere of being able to befriend and learn from other aspiring artists was awesome.
Maisie LiAPW Character Design Contest winner 2013
APW has completely changed my life. I got into Sheridan's animation program using the portfolio I made at APW. My parents never considered art school an option for me, so winning the contest helped convince them a lot. The workshop has given me the opportunities to succeed and pursue my dream of becoming an animator by helping me get into art school. The program and the teachers are all amazing and I hope that many other people in the future will also get this amazing chance, thanks APW!
- First prize - Free tuition for the 2017/2018 session of APW. Total value $5,194 CDN
- Second Prize - Toon Boom Harmony
- Third Prize - Toon Boom Storyboard Pro
- Fourth Prize - $350 worth of art supplies
- Fifth Prize - free passes to Anime North 2017
Anyone who has not been an APW student or in a post secondary animation or illustration program can enter and be eligible to win. APW is thrilled to have story artist, illustrator and animation artist Aaron Hong as our 2017 special guest judge to choose the winners in this year's contest. .
- Each character design submission must include 4 standing poses, 3 action poses and 4 facial expressions.
- Carefully read the guidelines apw_char_des_contest_rules_regulations_2017
- Fill out and mail these forms apw_character_design_contest_info_sheet_2017
- The deadline for all APW Character Design Contest submissions is Thursday, April 20th, 2017.For those who are just starting out in character design APW has brought together sound advice from seasoned animation professionals. Scroll through our series of Pro-Tips.
Simple ShapePro-Tip 1 Simple Shape
Reference ImagesPro-Tip 2 Reference Images
Volumetric ShapesPro-Tip 3 Volumetric Shapes
Shape CurvesPro-Tip 4 Shape Curves
Contrast Is KeyPro-Tip 5 Contrast Is Key
Know Your CharacterPro-Tip 6 Know Your Character
Pro Tip 7
VariationPro Tip 7 Variation
Special Guest Judge
Myke Bakich Storyboard Artist
APW 2016 Character Design ContestMyke's website